Kobbie Mainoo has told Manchester United he wants to leave on loan before the transfer window closes next week as he looks to play regularly having sat on the bench for the team's opening Premier League games - but the two parties are not aligned.
Mainoo made it clear to the club's bosses on Thursday that he has no intention to cut ties permanently, but does want to further his development and believes that sitting on the bench is not serving that ambition.
Ruben Amorim has not used the 20-year-old and appears to have others above him in the midfield pecking order. As a result Mainoo wants to leave for the season, especially with a World Cup coming up this summer. His rapid rise under Erik ten Hag was such that he started the Euro 2024 final.
However a lack of minutes for the Manchester outfit will make it harder for him to impress Thomas Tuchel. Despite the United star laying all this out his club have told him that they have no intention of sanctioning his loan exit.
Instead they made it clear that he is valued and the expectation is that he remains and fights for his place, reports the Athletic. Chelsea are among the clubs to have been linked in the past whilst Bayern Munich too have kept tabs on the situation, but never put in a bid.
READ MORE: Man Utd legend Ole Gunnar Solskjaer SACKED by Besiktas after eight months in charge
READ MORE: Man Utd finally agree Alejandro Garnacho exit as Chelsea strike £40m transfer deal
Ten Hag, the man who gave Mainoo his debut, was keen to reunite with him at Bayer Leverkusen but a deal was never feasible. The midfielder signed a new deal in February 2023 and his existing United contract runs to 2027, with the option of an extra year, and includes pay rises depending on performances.
It has been reported previously that United would reluctantly consider selling Mainoo should a suitable offer come along. This is largely motivated by the midfielder’s status as a homegrown player, with a potential sale representing pure accounting profit and helping their PSR situation.
After being overlooked Mainoo for the draw at Fulham Amorim was questioned on his used of the midfielder and insisted it was on the youngster to prove his worth. "The same as any player in that position. I expect a lot from Kobbie Mainoo," he said.
"Again, people think that sometimes you need to just give... I think it is important for Kobbie to fight for his place. I believe a lot in Kobbie; more than what everyone thinks. I believe a lot in Kobbie. I expect a lot from him. He is playing in one position and is fighting with Bruno. They can play together."
Join our new WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you're curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.
You may also like
Coronation Street Carl's second affair revealed with shock resident in new betrayal
Maharashtra Clears ₹20,000 Cr Shaktipeeth Expressway Connecting Nagpur To Goa, Faces Farmer Resistance In Kolhapur
Eating ginger is not only beneficial, it also causes harm! Know everything
GAIL Posts Record Profits In FY25, Focuses On Clean Energy & Digital Growth For Future
Boiled egg or an omelette for weight loss? Here's what an Indian-origin doctor says is best