A US federal judge has dismissed the corruption case against New York City Mayor Eric Adams, bringing an end to a legal battle that had entangled the Democrat in controversy and raised questions about political interference in the justice system.
Judge Dale Ho ruled on Wednesday to dismiss the charges “with prejudice,” meaning prosecutors cannot refile the case in the future. The decision contradicts the Justice Department ’s request for a dismissal “without prejudice,” which would have left the door open for a potential reindictment after the upcoming mayoral election.
Ho noted that allowing prosecutors to refile charges later would create an “unavoidable perception” that Adams' political decisions, particularly regarding immigration enforcement under US President Donald Trump’s administration, could be influenced by the looming threat of prosecution. “The mayor’s freedom cannot be conditioned on his ability to carry out the administration’s immigration enforcement priorities,” the judge said.
The ruling follows months of legal and political drama, with several Justice Department officials resigning in protest over the decision to drop the case.
Adams had been accused of accepting illegal campaign contributions and travel perks from a Turkish official in exchange for political favours, including expediting the opening of Turkey’s diplomatic building in Manhattan despite safety concerns.
The case was initially pursued under US President Joe Biden’s administration but was abruptly dropped after Trump took office. Acting deputy attorney general Emil Bove argued that the case was interfering with Adams' ability to assist the federal government’s immigration crackdown.
However, former Manhattan US attorney Danielle Sassoon resisted the move, calling it politically motivated and resigning in protest, reported The Guardian.
Adams, who pleaded not guilty to bribery and corruption charges last year, has denied any wrongdoing and insists he remains committed to serving New York City. “I have not committed a crime,” he told the court in February. He has also dismissed speculation that he is now politically indebted to Trump, saying that his decisions are “solely beholden to the 8.3 million New Yorkers that I represent.”
Judge Dale Ho ruled on Wednesday to dismiss the charges “with prejudice,” meaning prosecutors cannot refile the case in the future. The decision contradicts the Justice Department ’s request for a dismissal “without prejudice,” which would have left the door open for a potential reindictment after the upcoming mayoral election.
Ho noted that allowing prosecutors to refile charges later would create an “unavoidable perception” that Adams' political decisions, particularly regarding immigration enforcement under US President Donald Trump’s administration, could be influenced by the looming threat of prosecution. “The mayor’s freedom cannot be conditioned on his ability to carry out the administration’s immigration enforcement priorities,” the judge said.
The ruling follows months of legal and political drama, with several Justice Department officials resigning in protest over the decision to drop the case.
Adams had been accused of accepting illegal campaign contributions and travel perks from a Turkish official in exchange for political favours, including expediting the opening of Turkey’s diplomatic building in Manhattan despite safety concerns.
The case was initially pursued under US President Joe Biden’s administration but was abruptly dropped after Trump took office. Acting deputy attorney general Emil Bove argued that the case was interfering with Adams' ability to assist the federal government’s immigration crackdown.
However, former Manhattan US attorney Danielle Sassoon resisted the move, calling it politically motivated and resigning in protest, reported The Guardian.
Adams, who pleaded not guilty to bribery and corruption charges last year, has denied any wrongdoing and insists he remains committed to serving New York City. “I have not committed a crime,” he told the court in February. He has also dismissed speculation that he is now politically indebted to Trump, saying that his decisions are “solely beholden to the 8.3 million New Yorkers that I represent.”
You may also like
Alex Scott breaks silence as UK scores Women's World Cup 2035 bid
Gabriel Magalhaes Arsenal injury latest as Mikel Arteta considers new William Saliba partner
Grand National jockey Gina Andrews taken to hospital after nasty fall at Aintree
'Let Trump run the global economy': Howard Lutnick says there's no way Trump would back off on tariffs
Luke Littler bites back at Berlin crowd with gesture during Premier League Darts hammering